Last Update January 2, 2017. Graphing calculators are one of the useful tools for students and professionals. Whether you’re a high school or a college student, working as a professional or in office, graphing calculators will be a part of your everyday life. We reviewed only the best graphing calculators that will surely help you on your mathematical needs.
Top 5 Graphing Calculators in 2017
|Texas Instruments TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing Calculator||Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator||HP 50g Graphing Calculator||Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator||Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator|
|Best of 2017|
|Where to Buy||Check TI-Nspire CX CAS Price on Amazon||Check TI-84 Plus Price on Amazon||Check HP 50G Calculator Price on Amazon||Check TI-89 Titanium Price on Amazon||Check TI-83 Plus Graphing Price on Amazon|
|Pros||Powerful and exceptional apps. Screen is very vibrant and clear. It also has a slim design.||Easy to use. Highly recommended by exam proctors.||Expandable memory by using SD cards. Above average in its calculation speed.||Versatile and powerful calculator and has an adequate memory.||Accepted on most examinations. Users can add their own programs.|
|Cons||No native code support. Fewer dedicated keys.||Not having enough memory and lacking some features.||Graphs are slower to load compared to other powerful calculators.||Smaller screen compared to other calculators and the contrast is poor.||Due to the older system, it is not as powerful as the other calculators that I reviewed.|
|Verdict||High performance calculator with a wide range of functionality.||Simple to use calculator. Perfect for College and High-school students.||It may not as recognized as the Texas Instruments calculators, but if you're looking for a cheaper calculator with lots of features, this is highly recommended.||Powerful calculator but you have to shell out more money.||The TI-83 might be old, but it still can perform many functions as long as it is not too complex.|
|Best For||Algebra, Engineering, Trigonometry, Geometry,Chemistry, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, Business, Finance, Physics, Biology, College Algebra, Linear Algebra||Algebra, Trigonometry, Precalculus, Statistics, Finance, Physics||Algebra, Trigonometry, Precalculus, Statistics, Finance, Physics||Algebra, Trigonometry, Precalculus, Statistics, Physics, Calculus, AP Calculus, College Algebra, Linear Algebra||Algebra, Trigonometry, Precalculus, Statistics, Finance, Physics|
|Test Compatibility||SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, AP Tests||SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, ACT, AP Tests||SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, AP Tests||SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, AP Tests||SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, ACT, AP Tests|
|RAM||16 MB||24 KB||512 KB||190 KB||32 KB|
|ROM||20 MB||480 KB||2.5 MB||2.5 MB||512 KB|
|Battery||TI-Nspire Rechargeable Battery, can last up to 14 weeks||4 AAA batteries with a lithium battery backup||4 AAA batteries||3 AAA batteries||4 AAA batteries|
|Display||3.2" LCD screen, 24 0px by 320 px||2.8" LCD screen, 96 px by 64 px||3" LCD screen, 131 px by 80 px||160 px by 100 px||3" Monochrome LCD, 96 px by 64 px|
|Check Texas Instruments TI-Nspire CX CAS Price on Amazon||Check Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Price on Amazon||Check HP 50G Graphing Calculator Price on Amazon||Check Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Price on Amazon||Check Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Price on Amazon|
Table of Contents
Most Advanced Graphing Calculator Today
#1 TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing Calculator
- Powerful and exceptional apps
- Great for problem-solving
- Superb battery life
- Screen is very vibrant and clear
- Amazing looks and feels
- Lightweight and thin
- Screen is a fingerprint magnet
- No native code support
- Some buttons are hard to press due to their small size
In conclusion, the calculator is very slim and amazing. It has some drawbacks, but it cannot change the fact that the TI-Nspire CX CAS is one of the top graphing calculators out there.
I believed that this is the most advanced graphing calculator that you can own. You will never regret having one for yourself. Many calculus instructors are also recommending it. That’s why I highly recommend this graphing calculator. By the way, if you need the non-cas version of the TI-Nspire, you can read our review here.
Features of TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing Calculator
TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing Calculator is one of the newest graphing handhelds that comes with a powerful Computer Algebra System, which facilitates a deeper understanding of more difficult concepts in science as well as math.
The TI-Nspire CX CAS delivers algebraic ability to symbolically solve equations, factor and at the same time expand variable expressions, find anti-derivatives, complete the square, computer limits and exact solutions in irrational forms. All these have made the calculator a robust hands-learning tool.
It satisfies science and math curriculum needs from high school through college. With this calculator, you can speed up the understanding process. The handheld’s innovative abilities accelerate understanding of complex scientific and mathematic concepts.
More amazingly, you can make real-world connections by importing overlay graphs, digital images including your own photos and equations on them to see science and math at work in real world. It supports images in .jpeg, .jpg, .png and .bmp formats.
The calculator has integrated mathematics templates that permit users to enter values in proper notation. Students can enter expressions and see stacked fractions, formulas and math symbols just the way they are written in textbooks as well as on the board. There is presence of an exceptional Chem Box feature that allows students to easily input equations and chemical formulas.
The TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing Calculator is so unique that you can scroll, click, create and Save just like a computer. The in-built drop-down menus can be used to navigate, create new documents and pages as well as save work just like you do when you open, edit and store files on your computer.
For durability, all you need to do is recharge; you do not need to replace battery for years with the presence of TI rechargeable battery that can conveniently be recharged using a wall charger, TI-Nspire Docking Station or USB cable.
The risk of running out of power all of a sudden is greatly reduced and the need for repeated battery replacement is well taken care of. Each rechargeable lithium-ion battery should last you for about three years under normal usage. It is a complete resource for learning.
With this calculator, you can:
- Perform computations and enter equations, formulas, and expressions in proper math notation
- Carry out mathematical operations on data and at the same time visualize the links between data and their plots
- Plot and explore equations, functions and inequalities, use sliders to explain their behavior, animate points on objects and graphs and more.
- Enter instructions, steps, notes and other comments on the screen.
- Create animations and also, construct and explore geometric figures.
- Analyze and summarize data using many graphical methods such as box plots, histograms, pie and bar charts and more.
- Graphically create a hypothesis and replay data collection experiments
#2 Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator
- It encourages students to engage in math and science activities
- Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator is a perfect scientific calculator for performing mathematical, engineering, and financial tasks without any hassle
- It is portable to carry and it’s a great calculator that can help you pass your math and engineering assignments
- Its USB on-the-go technology is highly advantageous as it allows sharing of files from similar devices as well as computers
- It allows you to analyze charts, and other statistical tools perfectly well without stress
While this device is considered the best for computations, analysis, and good for studies and organizational tasks, it may also have something that calls for concerns.
- The Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator may not have as much space or as many pre-loaded Apps
- Using this device may present a few challenges when using it for the first time unless you are being guided
In our review, Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator is the another great graphing calculator available in the market today. It is important to know that, this device is an expanded graphing technology performance that is loaded with lots of applications to make computations easier.
Also, many schools and professors are recommending this calculator. Therefore, buying it will be the best thing you could do to help yourself in math, engineering and real-life data collection and analysis.
Update: Texas Instruments recently launched the successor of their popular TI-84 Plus. The new TI-84 Plus CE, which, on its way to become another best selling calculator. Read our review here.
Features of Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator
The Texas Instrument TI-84 Plus graphing calculator is one of these inventions that have make great impact in our math, engineering, and statistical subjects or exams. This product is a scientific calculator loaded with graphics ability to handle calculus, engineering, financial functions, as well as trigonometric tasks without any hassle.
The calculator will be of great value to students in higher institutions, bankers, as well as other business institutions that perform advanced financial analysis.
The TI 84 Plus allows financial calculations, trigonometry, calculus, and engineering calculations. With as many as 12 preloaded applications, the TI 84 Plus makes way for faster and advanced level calculations and plotting.
Some of the preloaded applications include Transformation Graphing, Conic Graphing, Inequality Graphing, Topics in Algebra chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3, chapter 4, and chapter 5. Cabri, CBL, StudyCards, Science Tools, simultaneous probability, and TimeSpan are the other applications that you will notice in your new TI 84 Plus graphing calculator.
The Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator is 2x more faster than the TI-83 Plus, it also has 24 KB RAM and a 480 KB ROM. This calculator boasts to have astounding USB on-the-go technology that enables file sharing with other devices including computer to handle any calculation task without any hassle. The device also comes with preloaded 12 apps and displays graphs, tables, and other features which can easily be traced on split screen.
The TI 84 Plus graphing calculator comes with a one year warranty. You can carry out mathematical calculations and make them look like the way they appear in the textbooks.
#3 HP 50g Graphing Calculator
- The HP-50g works accurately and efficiently with some complex calculations of equations. The machine can operate stance, and it can also be switched in the mode setup either from the real to some complex numbers. If by any chance there was an error in your input and the calculator can’t work on the formula or number, it proposed the operation back to the original equation. This means that you can’t lose track in your calculation.
- The HP-50g calculates give the user confidence of getting accurate results. In fact, every single calculation you make, results are also dependable and worry-free performance.
- The HP-50g graphical calculator can perform some computer arithmetic and the calculus functions since it has an advanced Computer Algebra System (CAS). The calculator can also store the equations then use them to solve any other variables using HP solve.
- The HP-50g calculator has a curved body that makes it sit nicely on the table. The body enables you to hold comfortably the calculator in your hands also. It has a quite good modem.
- The calculator also has a large main memory that can store a large amount of data without losing it. Also, it is fitted with the flash memory that helps the user to c tackle memory intensive problems
- The calculator has Algebraic Operating System (AOS), Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) and textbook mode that enables the user to select the one to use out of variety when doing some calculations
- The keyboard lacks a large ENTER key. The Large ENTER key should be fitted to prevent confusion when using it. The enter key also needs to be installed at the center-left for the smooth press.
- The HP-50g should have multiple batteries or a backup coin that will help to save information briefly especially when changing the main battery.
- The HP-50g graphing calculator needs to be fitted with additional backlights that will enable the users to use to use it even in the dark. That will ensure no limit of the machine.
The HP-50g Graphing Calculator is an advanced calculator that can work on all the complex calculations and get dependable and accurate results. It is also friendly to use and well designed to sit still on the desk or table. Plus, it is cheaper although it has fewer functions than the top graphing calculators.
Features of HP 50g Graphing Calculator
With over 2300 built in functions and a 9-line x 33-character screen, the HP-50g offers unique service in graphing calculators. Built in functions includes graphing, vector, scientific, math, and statistical operations. On top of that, the HP-50g has programmable soft keys, physics equations, and re-definable keyboard round.
The calculator also have a high-contrast screen, 2D and 3D graphing modes. More so, the HP-50g is fitted with 2.5MB memory, 512 KB RAM, 2MB flash ROM that enables the HP-50g graphic calculator to perform futures upgrades.
The calculator is more advanced than its predecessor the HP 49g+ by 30% based on its usable space. Moreover, the HP-50g fantastic power supply of AAA x 4+CR2032, an interface with USB and serial for connections to external equipment such as data loggers, PCs, and Surveying equipment. The HP-50g also is portable with approximately 220 grams and size of 184 x 87 x 24 mm.
If your professor didn’t allow the use of a graphing calculator, you can use a scientific calculator or a financial calculator instead. Read my recommended scientific calculator here and financial calculator here.
#4 Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator
- Good for Engineering majors – performs a number of functions highly relevant to the academic subject.
- Considered one of the more powerful scientific calculators in its price range.
- Displays makes inputting functions much easier to understand.
- Not the best calculator for those who need a simple scientific calculator for Math subjects.
- Calculator to PC functionality (upgrading calculator OS) may be too complicated for some.
- Some consider the calculator too expensive for its limited functionality.
Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium hosts a lot of bells and whistles. But these bells and whistles may be your best bet for getting your money’s worth. If you’re planning to major in Engineering or already have, here’s your new secret weapon. For everyone else, Texas Instruments may have other calculators better suited to your subject of interest.
Features of Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator
Scientific calculators seem tricky to buy at first. Lots of features and high price points often scare off the bravest buyers. But they’re not all bad. Texas Instruments is famous for their excellent graphing calculators. In this quick review, we’re taking a look at Texas Instruments’ TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator.
- Graphing calculator – able to compute algebra, calculus, statistical functions and matrices.
- Runs on 2.7MB flash memory and 188K RAM – contains enough storage for data, functions and programs.
- Large split-screen display measures 100×160 pixels.
- USB technology allows file sharing between other calculators and PC connections.
If you’re searching for a mid-range calculator, Texas Instruments’ TI-89 might work for your purposes. This graphing calculator allows you to perform a variety of different functions like basic math, algebra, graphs and calculus. It also performs advanced statistical functions, matrices, renders graphing 3D rotations and creates animations.
The Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator also performs function graphing, polar graphing, sequence graphing, 3D graphing and parametric graphing.
You can expect this calculator to operate fast. It hosts 188K RAM and as much as 2.7MB flash memory. What does this mean? The Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator will perform calculations faster than similar calculators.
The amount of flash memory included is about three times more than similar Texas Instruments models. You won’t run out of space. The Program Editor gives the calculator a little more functionality. It allows users to create custom applications of their own.
The large LCD screen is big enough to clearly see your calculations. It’s adjustable. You don’t have to struggle to see any type of calculations from weird angles or poor lighting conditions.
Most users liked the number of different functions this calculator can perform. People majoring in Engineering recommend this calculator. Others majoring in other subjects feel this calculator can be passed over for a cheaper Texas Instruments model.
#5 Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator
- The keys are high-contrast and fairly clear of extra functions, so it’s easy to find what you’re looking for
- Can handle engineering, calculus, trigonometric, and financial functions
- LCD screen is crisp and clear
- It has a backup battery
- It has limited functions
- Due to its age and older technology, it may be worth investing in a slightly higher-performance, higher-priced model like the TI-84 Plus, TI-89 or possibly even the TI-Nspire
Features of Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator
The TI-83 Plus comes with all the essential tools you need, and none of the ones you could do without. It’s powered by 4 AAA batteries, so it’s easy to find replacements.
It has a stored memory capacity of 160KB and 24KB of RAM. This amount of storage makes it able to hold up to 10 matrices of reasonable size. It’s light and measures in at only 25 ½ square inches.
The LCD has a great amount of contrast so it doesn’t hurt your eyes. And, to top it off, all of the tools you need to use every day in class are easily found and ready-to-go as soon as you turn on the calculator.
Saving money without sacrificing quality is a huge priority of every student, regardless of age. This is the perfect calculator to ensure you get performance out of every cent you spend. What’s even better about this calculator is it’s been the standard demonstration device for numerous high school math textbooks for a number of years. Such a wide base of support means that you’ll rarely ever have to even crack open the manual. You’ll get to spend more time-solving problems rather than figuring out how to do it.
Why Buy A Graphing Calculator?
A graphing calculator is a useful piece of tool during your math class. No doubt, they are really popular among students. A lot of schools often require their students to buy a graphing calculator. Most of the time, even your professor recommends different brands of calculators.
Graphing calculators are complex tools. That is why the learning curve is much higher than the simple calculator. They can do many functions, solve more mathematical equations and pre-loaded with several useful apps. That’s why we reviewed the best calculators available in the market today to help the buyers to choose what calculator is right for them.
It has CAS, it’s powerful and an advanced graphing calculator.