Texas Instruments, also known as TI, is a well-known manufacturer of premium and reliable graphing calculators. They are a global semiconductor company with different offices worldwide. Their graphing calculators are the best-selling calculators in the market.
Table of Contents
- Best Texas Instruments Calculators for College, Calculus and Engineering Students
- #1 Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator
- #2 TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing Calculator
- #3 Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator
- #4 Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator
- #5 Texas Instruments TI-Nspire CX Graphing Calculator
- #6 Texas Instruments VOY200/PWB Graphing Calculator
- About Texas Instruments Calculators
Best Texas Instruments Calculators for College, Calculus and Engineering Students
#1 Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator
- Great for calculus, trigonometry and engineering
- Easier to use than other graphing calculators
- Pre-loaded with useful apps
- Reliable, a well built graphing calculator
- Screen may get pixelated when you graph
- Should have made the user interface simpler
If you are looking for a graphing calculator that can have more space and enhanced speed, the TI-84 Plus is the device for you. It has nine times more memory space than the rest of the graphing calculators. Additionally, it can store as many as 94 software applications. The speed of the TI 84 Plus is double that of TI 83 Plus.
UPDATE: There is a new and better TI-84 Plus. Read the review of the new TI-84 Plus CE.
The USB cable makes transferring data simple. Installing software can be done using the USB port. You can enjoy some of the pre-loaded applications like Organizers and Periodic Tables. You can customize the face color of the calculator. Slide case Graphiti stickers are also available for giving your graphing calculator a separate look.
All these applications make the TI-84 Plus a very powerful device for carrying out complex functions. You can analyze 10 functions in this calculator. You can see the graphs and calculations at the same time with the split screen facility. You can see how the data made changes in the plotting of the graph.
The split screen also helps students to trace their mistakes when they see the data and the graph side by side. This lightweight device is easy to carry around. You can use it in your math and science classes on a daily basis. You can also use the TI 84 Plus during some of the entrance exams.
The TI-84 Plus is one of the most widely sold graphing calculators manufactured by Texas Instruments. The large LCD allows 8 lines to be incorporated into the screen with 16 characters in each line. You can store most of your data in the calculator and review them later. You can draw histograms and make scattered or box and whisker plotting.
You can carry on various kinds of analysis like data analysis, regression analysis, and graphical analysis besides advanced analysis. Four alkaline batteries ensure that the TI 84 Plus graphing calculator is always adequately powered. It has the facility of being automatically being shut down for conservation of energy when not in use. The user manual will help you in mastering all the functions.
#2 TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing Calculator
- The best thing about this graphing Calculator is that it provides the capability to solve factor equations symbolically and complete the square, expand variable expressions, find exact solutions in irrational forms, ant derivatives and more.
- The high definition, backlit display supports digital photos so you can overlay equations and graphs to visualize science and mathematics work in the real world.
- Another benefit of this product is that you can even enter notes along with your equations to aid you remembering the process.
- You can analyze and summarize data using several graphical procedures such as bar charts, histograms, box plots and more.
- The screen is not only vibrant but also clear
- Since it is already powered with an inbuilt rechargeable battery, therefore, you don’t have to stress about changing the battery on a frequent basis.
- Getting locked in the test mode could occur quite easily
- The screen is a fingerprint magnet as well as vulnerable to getting scratches very easily
The TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing Calculator offers advanced graphing features and functions so that you can easily visualize equations or problems in several representations. The best thing about this calculator is that you can view algebraic, numeric, graphical, written and geometric forms of expressions at the same time to gain knowledge of how each expression is related to another. In fact, this calculator is no.1 in my list. See the article here.
- Thin Design
- Backlit Color Display
- Rechargeable Battery
- Deeper understanding of academic concepts in science and math
- Enter comments, notes, instructions and steps on the screen alongside the math
#3 Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator
- High processing power
- Split screen for easier calculations
- Great adjustable LCD
- Needs some effort to fully understand some functions
- Sub-menus font size is small
You can perform simple functions like statistical calculations, algebra, basic math, matrices, graphs, and calculus. You get additional features like animation creators, 3-dimensional rotations of graphs, and plotting of contours. Since it specializes in graphs, you will get to do many variations on this device. Although, you need some time to getting used to it.
The Texas Instruments TI-89 Graphing Calculator is one of the most advanced models of Texas Instruments graphing calculators.
You can use your device for differential equation graphing, parametric graphing, basic graphing, polar graphing, three-dimensional graphing, and other mathematical graphing.
The TI-89 is armed with variable management function, drawing of tables, split screen display function, advanced programming ability, numeric solvers, symbolic manipulations, text editors, various measurement units, data plotting capability, and constants. You can connect the TI 89 graphing calculator with other calculators or to the PCs.
One of the most talked about feature of the TI 89 graphing calculator is the Flash technology. This technology helps students to keep their devices updated with the latest software and applications. It has a FLASH memory of 2.7 MB and a RAM of 188 KB. The TI 89 Titanium has three times more memory space as compared to the usual TI 89. This makes storing data and programs and documents easier.
The menu in the TI 89 Titanium can be customized according to the will of the user. The Programs Editor helps students to personalize the applications that they have included in the graphing calculator. It has CellSheets, EEPro for students of electrical engineering, and organizer and simultaneous solver of equations. It has other applications like NoteFolio, Language Localization, calendar, planner, StudyCards, and Math guides. All these software applications are upgradable.
The size and resolution of the LCD of the TI 89 Titanium is very impressive. The LCD is so made that it can be seen under various lighting conditions. The input and output port of the graphing calculator allows the transfer of data to other calculators and computers. The TI 89 Titanium is compatible with the models of the TI-89 series and the TI 92 series.
The TI 89 Titanium is protected with a hard sliding cover. Since this device is meant for the use of students, it often seems to get knocked at corners or in bags. The cover makes sure that the TI 89 is intact in spite of rough handling. The TI 89 Titanium is meant for making complicated calculations easier.
#4 Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator
- A popular choice among students
- Still a decent graphing calculator
- Easier to understand user interface
- Lacks some useful and updated apps
- Low-resolution display
Students can still use the TI 83 Plus graphing calculators while studying pre calculus, Algebra, Physics, and Biology. Many people are attracted to the size of the TI 83 Plus, apart from its performance capabilities. The keypad contains all the alphabets in a simplistic manner. But honestly, this is an old technology the newer TI 84 Plus outshines this older model.
The TI 83 Plus is a graphing calculator that has been specially designed for students. Students have indeed found this little device very handy while plotting data, making graphs, and analyzing them in comparing various functions.
The TI-83 Plus graphing calculator gives the users the opportunity to update the device and load new software applications. The Flash ROM memory allows the user to make the graphing calculator stay updated with all the latest applications. You can enjoy the pre-loaded applications like the Vernier EasyData and StudyCards. The TI 83 Plus is a trusted graphing calculator. Examination authorities have allowed the use of the TI 83 Plus in some entrance exams.
This graphing calculator is not only welcome in the classes, but also during examinations. The handling of financial issues and trigonometry are reasons for the preference of many customers. The resolution of the screen of the TI 83 Plus is set at 64 x 96 to provide clear pictures. You will be entitled to a warranty of 12 months. The TI 83 Plus is slim and sleek in design and weighs just 8 ounce. It is the best graphing device for beginners. It is easier for beginners to catch on to the simple functions of the TI 83 Plus.
It can store as well as analyze ten functions at the same time. The split screen feature allows the student to view the varied presentations of the same mathematical problem simultaneously. Comparing and contrasting is rendered easy through this feature. Conversions of programs are possible with the TI 83 Plus. There are numerous plotting types that making graphing not only easy but also enjoyable. Hyperbolic calculations can be carried out besides logarithms and trigonometry.
#5 Texas Instruments TI-Nspire CX Graphing Calculator
- This calculator boasts a full-color display which is kind to the eyes and facilitates visual understanding in a shorter period of time, instead of having to carefully follow graphing results on screen
- The screen has the ability to split into four separate parts, allowing the user to conduct multiple calculations at once. The possibility of comparing different graphs, side by side; is also made possible by this ingenious capability
- Students may easily load their notes onto the device
- One single charge may permit two weeks of normal use
- The device is approved for use in college entrance examinations such as ACT, SAT, AP, IB
- The 3-dimensional modeling on the device may be hard to manipulate due to its complexity
- In the event that certain features need to be deleted, such as for college entrance exams; they may prove difficult to remove
- The device lacks a Computer Algebra System (CAS)
- Users have reported a loss of pixelation in the screen over time
In short, if you are looking for a graphing calculator with the ability to perform advanced functions, store important notes and produce a visual representation of mathematical and scientific concepts in a progressive manner, this calculator would be a superb fit for your needs. Notwithstanding its shortcomings, many have attested to the aptitude and skill with which this device functions in a considerably short period of time.
Gone are the times when your calculator would require a replacement battery after suddenly going dead. That is one of the useful features of this calculator.
This calculator boasts advanced graphing functions which are not restricted to the subject of mathematics, but explores theories of science. It also has the ability to color-code concepts so as to gain a more lucid understanding of what they actually entail.
#6 Texas Instruments VOY200/PWB Graphing Calculator
- Extremely powerful
- High memory
- Performs both numerical and symbolic calculations
- Provides answers in a mathematically exact form
- Perfect for graphing
- Ideal for beginning through advanced Calculus.
- Large, bright display
- The user manual and documentation are very poor
- It uses a lot of power
- The device uses batteries and is not rechargeable by USB
- Because of the QWERTY keyboard, it can be banned from standardized tests and exams
It is an excellent calculator, or rather a tiny computer, for any mathematics major, physics major, or serious student. This calculator is known as a PLT, or personal learning tool. It can provide any student with one thing a text book cannot: the correct answer to any mathematical or physics question. Do keep in mind that it may take some time to get through the manual, or some of the helpful forums online to operate it. However, it is worth the time it takes to master because it truly has everything a student needs to not only succeed, but excel.
This Texas Instruments VOY200/PWB Graphing Calculator is jam packed with several awesome features. The first exciting feature being that this calculator can be customized by adding new functions through software applications. Some of the most advanced mathematics can be done through this calculator.
It can also solve all types of numeric and symbolic equations, all levels of Calculus, differential equations, and graphing. Furthermore it comes pre-loaded with several popular and fun applications, and also accepts study cards for English, History, Science, Foreign Languages and more!
About Texas Instruments Calculators
This company has carved a niche with their wide range of calculators. They created ripples with TI 30. It was one of the earlier models of the TI series. The success of the TI 30 encouraged them to manufacture more advanced models. Texas Instruments launched their first graphing calculator with TI 81.
TI 83 was the most popular among the graphing calculators introduced by them. The TI 84 Plus was a more updated version of the TI 83 graphing calculator. The TI graphing calculators made programming an easier task. It also made programming more popular among the students of the 90s. The BASIC interpreter incorporated in the graphing calculators gave the students an opportunity to create BASIC programs.
The TI 85 was the first graphing calculator that made creation of assembly programs possible. The use of the technology called ZShell made this happen. The TI 83 was the pioneering graphing calculator that could work with native assembly. These programs were not as simple as the BASIC programs. Those functions could be compared to that of the modern PDA phones and advanced games.
During the developmental stages of the TI graphing calculator series, personal web pages were grabbing attention. Various companies and their programmers presented websites that featured the web pages. This prompted Texas Instruments to introduce their new feature in the graphing calculators called “webrings”.
The introduction of webrings was followed by the launch of TI Files and ticalc.org. Although communities TI Files no longer exists now, they were immensely popular when they were launched.
Texas Instruments graphing calculators can be subdivided into two categories, the ones using Motorola 68000 and the ones using Zilog Z80. The calculators powered by Motorola 68000 are capable of supporting advanced applications and games.
Some of the best calculators from Texas Instruments like the TI 92 Plus, TI 89 Titanium, and the Voyage 200 use Z80. The Z80 series has witnessed some of the most popular models like the TI 84 Silver and the TI 83 Plus. The Z80 series seems to be more suitable for students.
The latest offering from this innovative company is the TI-Nspire. It is an amazing mathematical software. It also doubles up as a handheld device. Last year this company was honored by World Trade magazine with the Manufacturer of the Year for Global Chain Excellence Award.